Visa Information | St. Clair College

Important Updates from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada

Study Permit

  • If approved by the College you will receive a letter of acceptance, which will give your student status
  • Use this letter to apply for a study permit, so that you may enter Canada
  • When you arrive in Canada you will receive your study permit from an Immigration Canada Office

The Immigration Section of the Canadian diplomatic mission in your location can provide full information about how to apply for admission to Canada.

Co-op Work Permit and Unpaid Education Placements

As an international student, you may be enrolled in a program of study that has a co-op or unpaid work placement. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires you to have a valid co-op work permit before starting your work placement experience. Without a co-op work permit, you will not be legally allowed to work in a co-op or work placement position in Canada.

St. Clair College includes on your international Letter of Acceptance (LOA) whether you have a placement component built into your program of study. If your LOA indicates a placement, you must apply for a Co-Op work permit.

Please review the “How to Apply” directions on the IRCC website for guidance and tips. Should you have any questions about the Co-op Work Permit requirements or process, please contact the International Education Centre. You may visit the International department in room 220 of the Main campus or contact them by phone at 519-972-2727 ext 2753.

Some or all of these documents may be needed to obtain your Study Permit:

  • A letter of acceptance from the College
  • A certificate of medical clearance
  • Proof of financial ability to live and study in Canada, including return transportation
  • A valid passport

Admissions and Confirmation of Registration

International student enrollment at St. Clair College is offered on a first-come, first-serve basis.

In order to complete your registration, it is essential that the applicant follows these steps:

  1. After receiving a Letter of Acceptance (LOA), the applicant is required to pay the full Confirmation Fee noted on the LOA.
  2. After the Confirmation Fee is paid, a Tuition Payment Receipt will be provided.
  3. The final step for the international applicant to secure their seat in the specified program and semester is to upload a valid Canadian study visa through the International OCAS portal.

Uploaded Canadian study visas received after the maximum number of seats available for that program is surpassed will result in the LOA being revoked and the confirmation fee returned upon request. Applicants may be provided with the option to request a deferral to a future intake, depending on the availability of the program of choice.

Confirmation fees received after the due date or once the maximum number of seats available for that program is surpassed may be subject to a return of payment.


Your study permit will allow you to study in Canada. It also specifies the period of time you stay in Canada. You may have to get a new study permit, if there are any changes to the conditions of your permit, including:

  • Your course of study is longer than expected
  • You plan to change schools
  • You want to accept work of any kind
  • You will finish your studies before the course has ended and you don't plan to leave immediately after

We suggest that you report any changes to Immigration Canada as soon as possible. If you don’t report changes, you may be breaking Canadian immigration laws. This could result in an order for you to leave Canada.

If your passport needs to be renewed while you are in Canada you should contact your home country's consulate or embassy at least two months before the passport expires.

Should you wish to visit another country, the International Development Office has a directory of foreign embassies and consulates in Canada. The International Student Advisor at the College can assist with Canadian immigration business. However, it is the student, not the College who is responsible for personal immigration status.

For immigration inquiries in Windsor or Chatham:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
1250 Walker Road,
Windsor, Ontario
N8Y 4T4
Telephone: 1-888-242-2100
Fax: (519)966-8173

For information about how to study in Canada, visit Immigration Canada's Website.