Consumer Information | St. Clair College

What You Need to Know about
St. Clair College...

This information has been provided for students, families and staff members as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act that was enacted on August 14, 2008.

General Institutional Information

Student Financial Assistance

Types of U.S. Loans

1. Direct Loans

These loans may be either in the form of a subsidized and/or unsubsidized loan:

  • Subsidized loan: A student may be eligible for a subsidized loan based on his/her financial need. No interest is accrued while the student remains in-study in at least half time1 (the federal government 'subsidizes' the interest during these periods).
  • Unsubsidized loan: These loans are not based on financial need. Interest will be charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Students can choose to pay the interest while they are in school or allow interest to accumulate and be added to the principal amount.

St. Clair College is considered a foreign school; therefore, students will not be considered for any Grants.

Annual Loan and Aggregate Limits (effective for loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2012):

Annual Loan and Aggregate Limits
Year of Study Subsidized/ Unsubsidized Base
Additional Unsubsidized Loan
Aggregate Loan Limits*
Dependent Undergraduate Students - 1st year $3,500 $2,000 $31,000
Dependent Undergraduate Students - 2nd year $4,500 $2,000 $31,000
Dependent Undergraduate Students - 3rd year & up $5,500 $2,000 $31,000
Independent Undergraduate Students - 1st year $3,500 $6,000 $57,500
Independent Undergraduate Students - 2nd year $4,500 $6,000 $57,500
Independent Undergraduate Students - 3rd year & up $5,500 $7,000 $57,500
Graduate & Professional Students $0 $20,500 $138,500

*Aggregate Loan Limits (undergraduate students): No more than $23,000 of which may be subsidized. Aggregate Loan Limits (graduate and professional students): No more than $65,500 of which may be subsidized.

2. Direct Plus Loans for Parents:

Direct PLUS Loans enable parents who are creditworthy to borrow to assist with paying for their child's educational expenses.

The yearly limit on a Direct PLUS Loan is equal to the student's Cost of Attendance (determined by the College) less any other financial aid (including loans) the student will receive.

Direct PLUS loans proceeds must be used for authorized educational costs incurred by the dependent student. The parent agrees to immediately repay any loan proceeds that cannot be attributed to educational costs for attendance on at least a half time1basis at the school that certified the Direct PLUS Loan.

The parent who is applying for the Direct PLUS loan will also need to complete and return a Statement of Educational Purpose and Refund Form.

The Guide To Federal Student Aid

National Student Loan Data System

Your Federal student loan history may be reviewed through this site:, or by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243 or 319-337-5665). You may access your loan records by clicking on the Financial Aid Review link on the site's home page. Upon selection of any loan from the main list, the Detail Loan Information page displays. This page lists the current Servicer / Lender / Guaranty Agency contact information for the loan. For an FFEL purchased loan, the "Contact" column provides information on the servicer that will be working with you, the borrower. Review your loan history carefully, you may have loans with different servicers. You will find contact information for the Federal Student Aid Loan Servicers on the web at:

Entrance Counselling

All first-time borrowers must complete an Entrance Counselling session before their loan can be disbursed. This is an online session found on the following website: We strongly recommend that you also complete Financial Awareness Counselling found on the following website:

Exit Counselling

All students who cease to be enrolled at least half time at St. Clair College must complete an Exit Counselling session by logging in to the following web site:

You will also find an Exit Counselling Guide here:

Health and Safety


If you are concerned about your personal safety and security while on campus or would like to report the incident to be investigated either internally or would like assistance with reporting to the Police, please call Campus Security from any campus at 519-972-2741 (Emergencies: Windsor:519-972-2727 x4911, Chatham: 519-354-9100 x3911) or call the Manager, Occupational Health and Safety at 519-972-2727 x4686.