This program is delivered at our downtown campus, the St. Clair College Centre for the Arts. If you’re staying in residence, which is located at our main campus, it is a quick 20 minute bus ride to our downtown campuses. The bus stops directly behind the St. Clair College Centre for the Arts. The MediaPlex is one block south of the Centre for the Arts.
This new program will provide students with the skills and knowledge necessary to plan, organize, coordinate, implement and promote special events for the public, corporate and non-profit sectors. Graduates will be able to develop and implement financial initiatives, coordinate effective venue management and apply the principles of marketing strategies, effective human resource management, business administration skills, and the principles of professionalism and ethics. The ever growing industry of events is being used to stimulate economies, increase tourism, develop community awareness, foster public involvement, improve quality of life, generate revenue and market products.
The event industry is a rapidly growing segment of virtually every sector of society. Events are part of public, not-for-profit, charitable, private, and corporate sectors. Employment opportunities may be found at tourism associations, trade and professional associations, convention and conference centres, governments and at conference and event planning companies.
College Diploma or University Degree OR an acceptable combination of related work experience and post-secondary education (as determined by the College).
Program Related Recommendations:
- Related work experience is highly recommended
- Applicants should be computer literate in a Windows PC or MAC environment
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Event Management (Ontario College Graduate Certificate) (72205)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Create, plan, and design an event to meet organizational and/or client needs.
- Coordinate event site logistics, and staging, to achieve the event objectives.
- Plan, promote and produce marketing plans and communications for events that meet organizational and/or client objectives.
- Coordinate staff, contractors and volunteers to deliver the desired results of an event.
- Manage the financial aspects of an event to meet event objectives.
- Manage the business operations for administration, procurement, and oversight of event projects, to meet organization and/or client needs.
- Develop strategies to mitigate risk and liability to ensure the safety and security of participants during an event.
- Conduct oneself in an ethical and professional manner with clients, contractors and participants of events in order to create positive experiences and relationships.
- Formulate strategies that support intercultural awareness and inclusion to create events that meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Select industry-standard technology platforms, systems, tools and applications to support the planning and operation of events.
- Develop and implement funding mechanisms to support event objectives such as sponsorship programs, fundraising initiatives, and/or grants.
- Engage in ongoing learning for professional and career growth.