Frequently Asked Questions | St. Clair College

What are accessibility services?

Accessibility services are available for students that require accommodation or academic support for ADHD, psychological/mental health, physical or learning disabilities, and/or medical conditions. Students must register with Student Services in order to receive services. Disabilities can be temporary or permanent.

Can I use my high school Individual Education Plan (IEP) in College?

No, the IEP is not the official document used to provide accessibility services once a student leaves secondary school. In post-secondary institutions, we use a document called an “accommodation plan”. A Student Services counsellor will meet with you to review the documentation you provide. You will work together with your counsellor to develop accommodations based on your individual needs. The accommodation plan is reviewed and updated each semester or on an as-needed basis. For more information on the accommodation plan, click here.

What types of accessibility supports are available?

There are many supports available depending on the needs of an individual. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

  • in-class - ie use of a digital recorder, an FM system, or permission to take medication or breaks,
  • instructional support - ie receiving class materials ahead of class time
  • testing support - ie extra time, distraction-reduced space, assistive technology, clarification of terminology
  • use of specialized equipment or other supports needed

How do I register for accessibility services?

Students with disabilities should contact Student Services to make an appointment. You will be assigned to one of our counsellors, who will work with you while you are attending College. We recommend that you take the necessary steps to get the process started as soon as you have confirmed your program and paid your tuition deposit. Please register for services by filling out the Request for Accessibility Services Form.

Will my high school forward my IEP and/or other records to the College?

No, this is not something that happens automatically. It’s a good idea to obtain a copy of your IEP and/or psycho-educational assessment from your school and bring it to the appointment with your counsellor. This allows for a better understanding of what supports have been arranged for you in the past.

I had a psychoeducational assessment in grade six. Can I use it?

No, the College requires the assessment to be current within five years. The disability and/or the recommendations to accommodate the disability may change over time. If you are having your assessment updated, you may be requested to provide a copy of the older assessment to be used as a baseline to identify past learning challenges.

I need an updated psychoeducational assessment; however, I cannot afford to pay for it. Can I still get accommodations?

The College will provide accommodations in good faith until such time that arrangements can be made to have the assessment updated. Your counsellor will work with you to review funding options. These options may include coverage through parents' benefits packages, through places of employment, or through grant applications available for students with disabilities.

I will be having surgery and may have some physical limitations following the surgery. Should I let my professor know?

Physical limitations as a result of surgical procedures, accidental injuries, etc are deemed temporary disabilities and are generally eligible for temporary accommodations. A Student Services counsellor can meet with you prior to surgery or as soon as you are able following an accident or hospitalization.

I’m concerned about confidentiality. Will my teachers and classmates know about my disability?

The documentation that you provide to verify your disability is used only within the Student Services department and is kept strictly confidential. The nature of your disability is not disclosed to your professors or other students and is not included as part of your accommodation plan.

What additional support services are available for students with learning disabilities?

A learning strategist is available to assist you with study skills, time management, note taking and other strategies related to studying and learning. You can meet with a learning strategist as many times as needed, by appointment. Click here to make an appointment or to get more information.

An assistive technologist is available to assist with technologies that may include text-to-speech (reading), speech-to-text (writing) software, or assistive devices. Your assistive technologist may also provide alternate format textbooks. Click here to make an appointment or to get more information.

If I have an accommodation for testing, do I have to use it?

No. All accommodations are put in place to support you. You decide when and if you wish to use your accommodations. In fact, you are not obligated to write any of your tests in Student Services. You can decide to use your testing accommodations only for midterms or finals for example. The same is true for all accommodations - you will decide when or if you want to use them.