In a building or infrastructure project, Construction Engineering Technicians play an important role at the construction site. Duties include estimating, testing or inspecting materials, performing construction surveys, interpreting and applying specifications and executing sketches from contract drawings, shop and CAD drawings. This program will appeal to students with an interest in construction. They must have technical problem solving skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Students receive a solid foundation in core construction engineering subjects with a balance of theory and practical knowledge.
- Recognized by the Ontario Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) allowing easier transition to certification and increased employability in both Canada and the U.S.
- Common first year between Civil Engineering Technology, Construction Engineering Technician and Architectural Technology allows for easy transfer between the three programs.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities such as the Canadian National Concrete Canoe Competition and Habitat for Humanity build projects.
Construction engineering technicians can fulfill a number of roles on the construction site. Positions include site supervisor, junior estimator, or, surveyor with general contractors, architectural and engineering firms. Opportunities also exist with building product manufacturing firms, sub-contractors and government agencies.
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level plus:
- Grade 12 Math (C) or (U)
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
Program Physical Demands Analysis
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Construction Engineering Technician (Ontario College Diploma) (58200)
The graduate has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop and use strategies to enhance professional growth and ongoing learning in the construction engineering field.
- Comply with workplace health and safety practices and procedures in accordance with current legislation and regulations.
- Complete duties in compliance with contractual obligations, applicable laws, standards, bylaws, codes and ethical practices in the construction engineering field.
- Carry out sustainability practices* in accordance with contract documents, industry standards and environmental legislative requirements.
- Collaborate with and facilitate communication among project stakeholders* to support construction projects.
- Collect, process and interpret technical data to produce written and graphical project-related documents.
- Contribute to the collecting, interpreting and applying of survey/geomatics and layout information* to implement construction projects*.
- Identify and use industry-specific electronic and digital technologies to support the design and construction of projects.
- Contribute to the resolution of technical problems related to the design and implementation of construction projects* by applying engineering concepts, basic technical mathematics* and building science*.
- Assist in the scheduling and monitoring of the progression of construction projects* by applying principles of construction project management.
- Assist in the preparation of accurate estimates of time, cost, quality and quantity, tenders and bids.
- Perform quality control* testing and monitoring of equipment, materials and methods involved in the implementation and completion of construction projects*.
- Apply teamwork, leadership and interpersonal skills when working individually or within multidisciplinary teams to complete work on construction projects*.