St. Clair College’s English for Academic Purposes (EAP) certificate program is an intensive, full-time academic pathway program. The program integrates reading, writing, listening and speaking skills with an academic focus. The curriculum is geared toward non-native speakers of English who want to improve their writing, communication and critical thinking skills as well as cultural competency.
Incoming students take a Level Placement Test to see which level they should start in. Students then progress through the levels (Five through Eight), adding to their reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar skills. Levels Five through Eight are each seven weeks long.
English for Academic Purposes is a preparatory program that will offer learners direct entry to most post-secondary programs at St. Clair College if they successfully complete Levels 7 and 8 with a 70% average, provided that they meet all other admission requirements. No additional tests of English language proficiency will be required.
- Focus is on conversation, reading, writing, grammar, pronunciation and listening skills.
- Small class sizes: students given ample opportunity for individual attention and participation.
- Highly-trained professors and technicians who provide supportive, personal instruction.
- Interaction with English-speaking people.
- Computer lab and audio-language lab.
- Access to the Library, Tutoring, Student Services, Pool, State of the Art Sportsplex, and more.
- Accredited by Languages Canada
Prospective students must undergo placement testing to determine their level of English proficiency.
The curriculum below is for incoming students:
- Approximately $850.50 per seven-week semester
- Textbooks, transportation, and Student Card are extra
- Approximately $3,064.60 per seven-week semester
- Textbooks, transportation, accommodation, and Student Card are extra
- $125.00 application fee