FAQs about ACADEMIC and CAREER ENTRANCE (ACE) Online Program
What is the ACE Online program used for?
These courses are only for students who need to upgrade in order to meet admissions requirements for college programs. If you are looking to complete your OSSD (Ontario Secondary School Diploma) please contact your local Board of Education.
What is the fee for ACE Online courses?
There is no charge for the Learn to Learn or ACE Online courses, although you must be an Ontario resident. This program is funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development.
Do I have to purchase a textbook for my ACE Online course?
Students receive texts free of charge. Textbooks are distributed to students by the College Sector Committee for Adult Upgrading (CSC). If you successfully complete the course, you do not have to return the textbook. Textbooks are required for the following ACE Online courses: Apprenticeship Mathematics, Technology Mathematics, Physics and Business Mathematics. There are NO textbooks required for Biology, Communications, Computer Fundamentals, Self Management/Self Direction, Core Mathematics and Chemistry.
When can I start an ACE Online Course?
The online courses start each September, November, January, March and June. You must have the mandatory L2L Module completed prior to registering for your first ACE Online course.
How long does each course take to complete?
Students have 22 weeks to complete an ACE Online course, although all courses are “open” from the start (that means you can access all material from the first day). There is a recommended schedule to help students stay on top of things but you can move as fast as you are able. Approximate course hours are as follows. Self-Management and Self Direction and Computers take about 80 hours. Apprenticeship math is 100 hours, Biology, Chemistry. Physics, Core Math, Business Math, and Tech Math all take around 120 hours, and Communications takes about 150 hours.
How many ACE Online courses can I take at one time?
We recommend students start off taking only one course since each course requires an average of 7-10 hours per week. Classes begin the 1st week of the month. Second Career students should discuss taking ACE Online courses with their local Second Career office.
Are there any pre-requisites that I must complete before taking an ACE Online course?
Yes, to help you succeed, we have developed an Assessment and Orientation course called Learn to Learn (L2L). All ACE Online students must complete the Learn to Learn course BEFORE enrolling in an ACE Online course.
Is there someone I can contact if I have questions about the ACE Online program or getting registered?
If you have questions or concerns, call 519 972-2711 or email email@example.com.
Getting Started with ACE Online
This 20-hour course will help you to make sure you have the necessary personal, computer and academic skills to successfully participate in ACE Online courses. There is also material that will teach you how to be an effective online learner. You have up to 30 days to complete Learn to Learn and you can proceed through the material at your own pace. The Learn to Learn instructor will help you to develop an Individualized Training Plan (ITP) based on your goals. Once you have registered in the ACE course of your choice, the Learn to Learn instructor is also available to help you by providing advice, follow up and encouragement in partnership with your online teachers.
The Learn to Learn course is not intended to be an unnecessary barrier preventing you from registering in an ACE Online course. It is a process to get you started as quickly as possible and to provide the tools necessary for success.
Who is Required to Take the Learn to Learn Course?
- All students who are registering for an ACE Online course for the first time must take the Learn to Learn course.
- All students who have enrolled in an ACE Online course during the past eight months and have withdrawn or were not successful must take the Learn to Learn course.
Step 1. Sign up and complete the Learn to Learn (L2L) Module
- Complete the NEW Consent & Information form required by our funder, the Ministry of Training Colleges and Universities for all students after January 1, 2012. To access the form please go to https://www.acedsr.com.
- Complete the 20 hour Learn to Learn Course required of all students. To sign up for Learn to Learn, go to our website: http://www.acedistancedelivery.ca. Click on the 6th tab on the left (L2L Registration). Complete the form at the bottom of the page and click on the Register button. You will receive follow up instructions from Marla White and will be able to start the Learn to Learn course the following Monday.
Step 2. Once you have successfully completed Learn to Learn, you may register for your first ACE Online course.
- To register for your first course, Click here and complete the registration form. You must have the mandatory L2L Module completed prior to registering for your first ACE Online course.
Starting your ACE Online Course
Once you have registered you may begin your online course. Courses begin on the first Tuesday of the intake month. Here is how to log on and get started:
- Go to www.ontariolearn.com
- Click on "Login" button
- User ID
- 2 digit college code (st for st.clair)+ (-)dash+ first 3 characters of first name + last name (maximum of 12 characters so if your last name is longer you will have to use only the first 9 letters)
- all lowercase
- no spaces
- no periods
- no hyphens or dashes except after 2 digit college code
Betty Johnson = st-betjohnson
Ann St. Amour = st-annstamour
- Enter this Password: newone
Note: you will not get past this point until the official start dates.
To view a video of how to log on to your course, visit
Technical assistance is available 24/7 should you encounter any technical difficulties accessing your course.
Tel #: (416) 494-5954
Email web form: http://supportcenter.embanet.com/ontariolearn/
Computer Hardware and Software Requirements
PC Pentium I, Windows 95 or greater, min. 8 MB Ram, min. 28.8 modem or comparable Mac system. Students are required to purchase the software required to successfully complete the course.