In 1958, one hundred and four male students attended the first year Technology Program at the Western Ontario Institute of Technology (WOIT) under the direction of then President Doug McRae. Their classrooms were located at 815 Mercer Street in a circa 1890 two-room schoolhouse for east-side elementary students. A total of four, three-year programs were offered in electronics, electrical, mechanics and chemistry.
Two years later Charles Jackson, P.Eng. from Hamilton, became Principal and the school quickly grew requiring three more pre-fabricated buildings to be added to house two regular classrooms, a thermodynamics lab, a common room and the chemistry department. Business courses were added in 1961, and by 1964 WOIT leased a separate building on Erie Street to house the business students.
Just one year later, in 1965, the provincial legislature voted on a bill introduced by the Honourable William G. Davis which, when passed, consented to the formation of a new kind of post secondary education. The concept of Colleges of Applied Arts & Technology was born and 19 provincial colleges, including St. Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology in Windsor, Ontario became a reality.
In September 1967 the College's first building was completed, at 2000 Talbot Road West and 300 students started their college education.
Over the past 50 years St. Clair College has grown to over 9,000 full time students who take classes in over 100 degree, diploma and certificate programs. There are four campuses in Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent with state-of-the-arts facilities in health sciences, engineering technology and skilled trades, business and I.T. and media, the arts and design programs. In addition, thousands of part time learners take courses to upgrade their skills or just to enhance their knowledge.
During its fifty year history, St. Clair College has graduated more than 95,000 alumni who have contributed to the economic and social infrastructure of our communities across the country and around the world.
We invite you to join us in 2017 as we celebrate the milestones of our history and pay homage to our alumni, students, staff, and our educational and industry partners who have helped shaped the stories that have contributed to 50 years of educational excellence.