Campus:South Campus - Windsor (H932)
- Centre for Applied Health Sciences
Thames Campus - Chatham (K933)
Program Length:30 weeks (2 semesters) - Ontario College Certificate
Starts:September and January
(519)972-2727, ext. 4922
(519)972-2727, ext. 4922
(519) 354-9714, ext. 3724
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admission to this program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures for details.
Personal Support Workers work with the frail, elderly, physically challenged, mothers and newborns, and persons with special needs in long term care facilities and/or in the community at large. Students will have the skills to use lift machines and the body mechanics to ensure clients are moved safely and effectively. Students will also learn the appropriate skills to provide emotional, social and spiritual supportive care for clients and their families.
This program will appeal to students with a genuine interest in caring for the elderly and physically challenged persons of any age. They need both patience and maturity as well as strong communication skills.
- Work placement
- Two semester program
- Practical “hands-on” training with new equipment on site
There are excellent employment opportunities in nursing homes, with homecare agencies, in rest homes, retirement homes, community living and other government agencies. Some opportunities also exist in the non-profit sector including the Alzheimer Society. There is also the potential for employment in retail homecare services.
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
Applicants are required to have the following completed prior to clinical placement. You are responsible for the associated costs.
- First Aid
- Heart & Stroke Foundation Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) BCLS Level C/AED
- NIOSH N95 Respirator Fit Test
- Employer requirement for up-to-date CLEAR POLICE CLEARANCE (vulnerable sector screening)
- - MUST be obtained by you, the student.
- Obtain the Police Clearance by the first week of your first semester
- Clinical placements may be on day, afternoon or weekend shifts ANYWHERE within Ontario.
- You are responsible for travel and accommodation costs.
Fees are subject to adjustment each year. The standard tuition and compulsory fees for 2012 are:
Total 1st Year Tuition and Compulsory Fees$3,347.69 (Windsor)
Uniforms, shoes, etc. approx.$300.00
For textbook prices see the Bookstore website.
For a breakdown of tuition and other compulsory fees for Canadian, U.S. and International students, see Tuition & Fees.