Campus:South Campus - Windsor (H840)
- Centre for Applied Health Sciences
Thames Campus - Chatham (K940)
Program Length:Two Year - Ontario College Diploma
(519) 972-2727, ext. 4354
(519) 972-2727, ext. 4354
(519) 354-9714, ext. 3249
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level plus:
- Grade 12 English - ENG4U, ENG4C, EAE4C or EAE4U with 60% or better
- Grade 12 Math (C) or (U) with 60% or better
- Senior Level Chemistry (C) or (U) with 60% or better
- Senior Level Biology (C) or (U) with 60% or better
- Valid Ontario Driver's License required
IMPORTANT NOTE - This is an OVERSUBSCRIBED program. Important information about how applicants are ranked for entry into this program can be found here.
For more information, see the Admission Procedures document on the Registrar's Office page.
Applicants who possess some of the following items may earn additional points in the selection process:
- Senior Level Physics
- CPR, First Aid, AED and other emergency training
- Emergency responder, fire service
- Post secondary education from individual courses to diplomas or degrees
- Instructor certifications in CPR, First Aid
- Work experience in health care agencies
- Class F driver's license
A paramedic is at the forefront of emergency health care services in times of accident or crisis. They provide cardio pulmonary resuscitation, defibrillation, cardiac monitoring, pulse oximetry, airway management, administration of life saving drugs, control of severe bleeding along with immobilization of spine, neck and bone injuries. This program will appeal to students who are able to work under extremely stressful situations. They must be critical thinkers, able to problem solve and multi-task. They must be strong and in good physical condition. They also need to be compassionate with a good attitude and a desire to serve the public. It's also important to be able to work well with others and be part of a team.
- Clinical hospital/ambulance field experience
- Hands on training in well-equipped labs and simulation suites
- Graduates are eligible to apply to write the Ontario Ministry of Health Advanced EMCA (Primary Care Paramedic) examination
Paramedics are employed by both public and private ambulance services. Graduates may also progress to the level of Advanced Care Paramedic and/or Flight Paramedic requiring additional years of education at various institutions throughout Ontario.
Requirements under the Ontario Ambulance Act and Criminal Code of Canada must be met to be employed as a Paramedic in Ontario. If you have concerns regarding possible traffic violations, criminal records, or medical conditions that may affect your potential employment, contact the program Coordinator. Applicants MUST possess a VALID Ontario Driver's license.
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
Applicants are required to have the following completed prior to clinical placement. You are responsible for the associated costs.
- First Aid
- Heart & Stroke Foundation Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) BCLS Level C/AED
- NIOSH N95 Respirator Fit Test
- Employer requirement for up-to-date CLEAR POLICE CLEARANCE (vulnerable sector screening)
- - MUST be obtained by you, the student.
- Obtain the Police Clearance by the first week of your first semester
- Clinical placements may be on day, afternoon or weekend shifts ANYWHERE within Ontario.
- You are responsible for travel and accommodation costs.
Fees are subject to adjustment each year. The standard tuition and compulsory fees for 2012 are:
Total 1st Year Tuition and Compulsory Fees$3,587.75 (Windsor)
Uniforms & Equipment approx.$700.00
Medical forms approx.$150.00
Provincial AEMCA Certification exam$250.00
Class “F” Driver's License$85.00
Driver's License Medical approx.$75.00
For textbook prices see the Bookstore website.
For a breakdown of tuition and other compulsory fees for Canadian, U.S. and International students, see Tuition & Fees.