OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admission to this program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures
Office administrators in the health services field are vital members of the health care team, often the first person to interact with clients in a physician’s office. Graduates are able to work within and manage any health services office with the required comprehensive knowledge and specialized skills. Accuracy and confidentiality are paramount and students should have excellent critical thinking skills, be organized and know how to prioritize. Students must have solid interpersonal skills and work effectively in a multicultural environment. Good communication skills, both written and oral, and excellent keyboarding skills, are assets.
- Training includes client care, appointment scheduling, manual and electronic charting, transcription of a wide range of medical data and reports and communication techniques.
- Strict emphasis is placed on confidentiality following PHIPA (Personal Health Information Protection Act) guidelines.
- Graduates have an understanding of healthcare billing through MOHLTC (Ministry of Health and Long Term Care-OHIP), along with third-party and private billing with a hands-on approach in an electronic healthcare software setting.
- Work Placement in the final semester in a variety of private and government-funded medical clinics, general and specialized healthcare offices, hospitals or alternative healthcare facilities.
- Advanced computer software including EMR (electronic medical records) training.
Opportunities in the health care field are diverse and include physicians’ offices, hospitals, laboratories, medical clinics, nursing homes, health insurance offices, public health offices and alternative health therapy offices.
- Program Physical Demands Analysis: K238
Some of our employers who provide our placement settings require a clear POLICE RECORD CHECK for criminal offences with vulnerable sector screening before accepting a student into the clinical setting. The record check MUST be obtained by the student and at the student’s expense. If you are unable to obtain this police clearance please discuss this with the coordinator to ensure that proper arrangements can be made in advance for your placement. Some of our employers who provide our placement settings also require up to date immunizations and a proof of a negative TB test. Should you be unable to acquire these, please discuss the matter in advance with the coordinator.
The standard tuition and compulsory fees for the current academic year:
2019-2020 Tuition Fees
For programs with Experiential Learning (Work Placement/Internship): Costs for accommodation, if needed, travel and related expenses is at the student's own expense. It is recommended for most programs, that students have access to a laptop or desktop computer while away from home during experiential learning periods.
Textbooks and other materials are in addition to Tuition Fees. Textbook prices may be found through the Bookstore website.
Please be aware that tuition and compulsory fees are subject to adjustment each year. The College reserves the right to change, amend or alter fees as necessary without notice or prejudice.
Introduction to Keyboarding
Essential Business Calculations
Introduction to Word Processing and Business Documents
General Education Elective
Business for the Office Assistant
General Education Elective
Introduction to Computer Technology
Accounting for the Office Assistant
Business Communications I
Advanced Word Processing and Documents
Keyboarding and Transcription
Electronic Spreadsheets and Databases
Medical Terminology I
Health Services Administrative Documents & Procedures
Medical Transcription I
Health Service Office Management
Social Relations, Ethics and Legislation in the Health Service Office
Choose a General Education Elective
Medical Transcription II
Medical Terminology II
Pharmacology & Safety Systems in Health Service Offices
Health Services Office Work Placement
Electronic Medical Records and Billing