OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level qualify for admission to this program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures
Graduates of this program have the skills to be executive-level administrative assistants to top level managers in business or government. Skills include a high level of expertise in keyboarding and computer applications with some accounting. Students will learn how to do effective presentations and be well rounded in all office duties. With experience, graduates also be capable of assuming the role of office manager providing leadership to other staff.
This program targets students who want to develop strong computer and keyboarding abilities. They should enjoy working in a team environment and have excellent interpersonal and critical thinking skills. Good communication skills, both written and oral are also important.
- Latest computer software for office applications.
- Curriculum includes Desktop Publishing, Web Page Design, Simply Accounting, Human Resource Management, In-class Simulation Labs, SAM software, Express Scribe machine transcription, oral presentations, Office Suite integration with the Internet, and World Cultures.
- Students who have successfully completed the 2-year OAE Diploma Program may continue their education towards a Bachelor of Commerce Degree with Davenport University or Walsh College.
- Work placement could be in a financial institution, social service agency, retail office, government office, or a school setting (elementary, secondary or post secondary).
- These internships allow students to network with possible future employers and gain valuable hands-on experience.
This program provides a solid foundation for employment as an office administrator, administrative assistant or office manager. Opportunities exist in a wide range of workplaces including government offices, corporations, financial institutions, schools/colleges/universities, accounting firms, real estate offices and insurance offices.
Field Placements are part of this program. Your placement could be in a financial institution, social service agency, legal office, police services, or a school setting (elementary, secondary or post secondary).
Some of our employers who provide our placement settings require a clear POLICE RECORD CHECK for criminal offences with vulnerable sector screening before accepting a student into the field setting. The record check MUST be obtained by the student and at the student's expense. Please check with your Program Coordinator early in your first semester to ensure the proper process is followed.
- Program Physical Demands Analysis: K231
The standard tuition and compulsory fees for the current academic year:
2018-2019 Tuition Fees
For programs with Experiential Learning (Work Placement/Internship): Costs for accommodation, if needed, travel and related expenses is at the student's own expense. It is recommended for most programs, that students have access to a laptop or desktop computer while away from home during experiential learning periods.
Textbooks and other materials are in addition to Tuition Fees. Textbook prices may be found through the Bookstore website.
Please be aware that tuition and compulsory fees are subject to adjustment each year. The College reserves the right to change, amend or alter fees as necessary without notice or prejudice.
General Education Elective
Introduction to Keyboarding
Essential Business Calculations
Introduction to Word Processing and Business Documents
Business for the Office Assistant
General Education Elective
Introduction to Computer Technology
Accounting for Office Assistant
Business Communications I
Introduction to Human Resources
Administrative Documents I **
Professional Office Simulation **
Advanced Word Processing and Documents *
Keyboarding and Transcription *
Electronic Spreadsheets and Databases
Applied Accounting Workshop *
General Education Elective **
Oral Presentations **
Advanced Electronic Spreadsheets *
Creative Computer Publishing **
Administrative Documents II **
Administrative Office Work Placement *
Advanced Databases *
* Delivered in the first 7 weeks of the semester
** Delivered in the second 7 weeks of the semester