Music Theatre Performance
Campus:South Campus - Windsor (A887)
Program Length:Three Year - Ontario College
(519) 972-2727, ext. 4184
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTSOSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level.
- Recommended: One of Dance, Dramatic Arts or Music (Grade 11 or 12 (U), (C), (M) or Open)
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:After your ontariocolleges.ca application has been processed, your acknowledgement letter will let you know that this program requires an audition. Assuming that you have met all other requirements of the performing arts program, you will need to do the following to be considered for the program.
There will be four components to the audition:
- Acting - one to two minute monologue from a contemporary/modern play, fully memorized.
- Singing – two contrasting songs from the musical theatre repertoire (one ballad and one up tempo). An accompanist on the piano will be provided.
- Dance ability will be assessed in a group situation; the Choreographer will conduct a group warm-up and teach a series of dance moves plus a combination.
- Musical understanding will be examined through a written test (those with RCM certificates are exempt), as well as an ear test (for everyone).
Click here for upcoming Audition Dates and additional information about the auditions.
PROGRAM GOALSFor those who combine a passion for performing arts with singing, acting and dancing abilities, this intensive performance program is ideal. The programme has an extremely rigorous acting component, and graduates will have trained with professional instructors in a variety of styles and methods, both for stage and for film. Vocal music work includes technique, interpretation, with all solo work supported by one on one tutorials. An intensive dance curriculum includes ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop and modern styles with a specific music theatre focus. Musicianship will be stressed through key-board instruction, sight singing instruction, choral work and elementary composition All skills will be integrated through performance.
This program will appeal to students who have a passion for performing, are able to demonstrate their potential through an audition process, are ambitious and possess a strong work ethic. Students will be required to work with professional instructors in a highly disciplined environment.
- Performance opportunities in every semester, with the shows distinguished by high production values.
- Productions presented in a 1200 seat state-of-the-art theatrical venue (Chrysler Theatre), in addition to a smaller intimate Studio setting.
- Professional Faculty active within the entertainment industry
- When you apply to this program you are welcome to attend any of our performances which take place in December and April. Please contact Katherine Kaszas, Artistic Director at 519-972-2727 Ext. 4184 for details.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIESGraduates will find work as performers in professional theatres, on cruise ships, in dinner theatres, in theme parks, summer festivals and in commercial musical theatre productions. There is also acting for film and stage. Opportunities also exist in commercial voiceovers and studio recording. Some performing arts graduates choose to go into theatre administration.
- Program Physical Demands Analysis: A887
- Performing Arts Web Page
- 2013 Performances
- Audition Dates
- Faculty Bios
WHY CHOOSE ST. CLAIR COLLEGE'S MUSIC THEATRE PROGRAM?Got to sing? Gotta dance?! Are you a “triple threat” on a path to stardom? Whether your dream is to tread the boards or light up the screen, when you look at performing arts schools in Ontario, look closely at St. Clair's Music Theatre Performance program. Learn from industry professionals: our faculty members are professionals of the stage and screen industries. Strut your stuff in solo and ensemble performances in both small studio settings as well as our 1200 seat Chrysler Theatre.
This comprehensive, intense performing arts program offers a solid base for your future career. Attention to supporting the individual and fostering professional development is ensured by one on one coaching. Blending the classical with the contemporary, St. Clair's performing arts program focuses on practical strategies for stretching the imagination and developing strong performance skills, without neglecting the business of “the business.”
Our performing arts program's acting courses include: Theatre History and Stagecraft, Text Analysis & interpretation, Character Development, Improvisation & Physical Comedy. The music component offers: the History of Music Theatre, Musical Theory, Ear Training and Sight-singing, Vocal Technique & Interpretation. Dance courses include Ballet, Jazz, Tap and Contemporary. Master Classes are offered by guest artists from the world of entertainment.
Gotta sing, gotta dance? Then you gotta apply!
YOUR INVESTMENTFees are subject to adjustment each year. The standard tuition and compulsory fees for 2012 are:
Total 1st Year Tuition and Compulsory Fees$5,104.69
For textbook prices see the Bookstore website.
For a breakdown of tuition and other compulsory fees for Canadian, U.S. and International students, see Tuition & Fees.