Campus:South Campus - Windsor (H299)
- Centre for Applied Health Sciences
Program Length:One Year - Ontario College Certificate (delivered in less than 1 year)
(519) 972-2727, ext. 4454
OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level plus:
- Grade 12 English - ENG4U, ENG4C, EAE4C or EAE4U
- Grade 12 Math (C) or (U)
- Senior Level Chemistry (C) or (U)
- Senior Level Biology (C) or (U)
IMPORTANT NOTE - This is an OVERSUBSCRIBED program. Important information about how applicants are ranked for entry into this program can be found here.
For more information, see the Admission Procedures document on the Registrar's Office page.
Graduates of this program have the basic technical and theoretical skills required to work in healthcare laboratories, and assist the Medical Laboratory Technologist in various investigative and clinical laboratory procedures including sample collection and processing.
This program will appeal to students who have good organizational skills. They must also be excellent communicators with good interpersonal skills and a professional image.
- Accredited by the Canadian Medical Association, graduates are eligible to write the CSMLS MLA certification exam.
Diverse employment opportunities exist with hospital, private and public health laboratories, clinics, research labs, and commercial diagnostic supply companies. Lab technician, phlebotomist (responsible for taking blood samples), and clinic assistant are typical positions.
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
Applicants are required to have the following completed prior to clinical placement. You are responsible for the associated costs.
- NIOSH N95 Respirator Fit Test
- Employer requirement for up-to-date CLEAR POLICE CLEARANCE (vulnerable sector screening)
- - MUST be obtained by you, the student.
Fees are subject to adjustment each year. The standard tuition and compulsory fees for 2013 are as follows:
Total 1st Year Tuition and Compulsory Fees$3,687.08
CSMLS exam application and fee approx.$250.00
Students may be placed at out-of-town sites for Semester 3. These students will be responsible for transportation, accommodation, and other related costs.
For textbook prices see the Bookstore website .
For a breakdown of tuition and other compulsory fees for Canadian, U.S. and International students, see Tuition & Fees.