OSSD with the majority of courses at the College (C), University (U), University/College (M) or Open (O) level plus:
- Grade 12 English - ENG4U, ENG4C, EAE4C or EAE4U
- Grade 12 Math (C) or (U)
- Senior Level Chemistry (C) or (U)
- Senior Level Physics (C) or (U)
- Senior Level Biology (C) or (U)
- the Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees certificate or equivalent courses from the Academic and Career Entrance program.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures
IMPORTANT NOTE - This is an OVERSUBSCRIBED program. Important information about how applicants are ranked for entry into this program can be found here
For more information, see the Medical Laboratory Science Admission Guidelines document
found on the Admission Procedures
Students applying to this program must complete the Health Occupations Aptitude Exam (HOAE) test. Please click here for more information
about the test.
complete the HOAE test as part of the application process. Your HOAE test score will be combined with your academic accomplishments to determine an overall score that is used for admissions. You can only write the HOAE exam once per application cycle.
A score is determined for each applicant derived from the Pre-Admission Testing score and from required subjects for admission. Scores are then ranked by highest score and selection is made for the available positions and places on the waiting list.
For high school applicants, all of your Grade 11 courses and the first semester of your Grade 12 courses will be averaged and ranked in order to make the selection for acceptance into this program. When final grades are released applicants must meet the minimum requirement in mandatory courses.
The Medical Laboratory Technologist assesses the types of blood cells and microorganisms that cause disease, provides chemical analysis of blood and body fluids, performs the processing of tissue samples for microscopic evaluation, and determines the compatibility of blood for transfusion.
This program will appeal to students with a love and knowledge of sciences and an investigative nature. They should have good manual dexterity, and must be able to work accurately and quickly under pressure to make decisions which directly affect the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
The Medical Laboratory Science program graduate will have the essential skills required to assess the types of blood cells and microorganisms that cause disease, provide chemical analysis of blood and body fluids, perform the processing of tissue samples for microscopic evaluation, and determine the compatibility of blood for transfusion. Graduates will meet all requirements of the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) MLT competencies and will be eligible to obtain certification from the CSMLS by challenging the CSMLS MLT Exam.
- As an accredited program, graduates are provided the opportunity to write the general MLT certification exams offered by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
- Ability to apply to the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario for a license to practice in Ontario clinical labs.
A nationwide shortage of Medical Laboratory Technologists exists in Canada. Graduates are employed as medical technologists, research assistants, quality control technicians and laboratory technicians in hospitals, public and private medical laboratories, in clinical research and pharmaceutical laboratories, as well as in sales or technical assistance.
- Medical Requirements Form
- A satisfactory medical exam.
- An up-to-date immunization record including tetanus and diphtheria, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B (incl. Hep B titre within the last 24 months) and TB skin test.
Applicants are required to have the following completed prior to clinical placement. You are responsible for the associated costs.
- N95 Mask Fit Testing
Employer requirement for up-to-date POLICE CLEARANCE (vulnerable sector screening)
- Any student unable to obtain a clearance may jeopardize the internship portion of the program and thus program completion.
- It is the responsibility of the student to incur all costs related to obtaining the Police Clearance.
- Clinical placements may be located out of town. You are responsible for travel and accommodation costs.
Students who graduate with a GPA of 3.0 or greater may receive advanced standing in up to 17 credits out of the 30 required for a Bachelor of Science (General Science) degree at the University of Windsor.
- Program Physical Demands Analysis: H837
- Textbooks and other materials such as scrubs, safety materials, police clearance, mask fit and CSMLS exam costs are in addition to Tuition Fees.
Medical Laboratory Science Program Student Scholarships:
Medical Laboratory Science Certification Links:
The Canadian Forces (CF) is offering paid education with an employment opportunity for students enrolled in a CF-recognized program.
The standard tuition and compulsory fees for the current academic year:
2018-2019 Tuition Fees
For programs with Experiential Learning (Work Placement/Internship): Costs for accommodation, if needed, travel and related expenses is at the student's own expense. It is recommended for most programs, that students have access to a laptop or desktop computer while away from home during experiential learning periods.
Textbooks and other materials are in addition to Tuition Fees. Textbook prices may be found through the Bookstore website.
Please be aware that tuition and compulsory fees are subject to adjustment each year. The College reserves the right to change, amend or alter fees as necessary without notice or prejudice.
Anatomy & Physiology I
Intro to Chemistry I (Lecture)
Literature: Short Exposition
General Lab. Knowledge
Interprofessional Care in Healthcare
Introductory Microbiology and Immunology
Human Anatomy & Phys. II
General Chemistry II (Lecture)
Microscopy and Human Micro Anatomy and Physiology
Organic Chemistry I
Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
Clinical Chemistry A
Communication Across Cultures
Clinical Microbiology A
Transfusion Science A
Histotechnology & Histology
Clinical Chemistry B
Ethics & Professionalism
Clinical Microbiology B
Transfusion Science B
Histotechnology & Histology B
Clinical Microbiology Internship
Clinical Chemistry Internship
Clinical Work Experience
Transfusion Science Internship
Transfusion Science Review
Clinical Microbiology Review
Clinical Chemistry Review