Diploma or degree in a related field from a recognized college or university OR
demonstrated competence through related work.
Mature students - See Admission Procedures
St. Clair College's new Media Convergence program provides students with the multi-skilled tools they require to compete in the ever challenging field of journalism and communications. Students will produce TV shows, radio newscasts, a number of newspaper editions, and online products such as podcasts and blogs. Students will learn to become converged media journalists - able to work in any newsroom and in any situation. Completion of a capstone convergence production is a requirement for graduation. Students will also produce short form radio and video documentaries.
- Gives graduates two semesters to polish their skills in a newsroom setting
- Provides people working in the media an opportunity to develop converged reporting skills – working in radio, TV, print and online
- Convergence management course provides leadership skills required in the running of converged newsrooms of the 21st century
- Participants leave with a portfolio of cross platform products to demonstrate their marketable skills in writing, production, on-air and web journalism
- The capstone project required for graduation is a culmination of all cross platform competencies – on-air, production, web and management - that showcase the multi-skill abilities acquired which will enhance employability in the workplace.
The newsrooms of today and into the future require journalists who are multi-skilled and able to deliver converged reporting across all media platforms – online, radio, TV and print. St. Clair College's Media Convergence graduate year provides participants with those skills which consequently makes them highly marketable in all newsrooms. We also teach converged newsroom management skills – including learning how to determine when a story can be used across all media platforms – giving students another level of employment opportunities.
The backpack aspect of the program hones the convergence skills necessary to be a successful freelancer or e-lancer. Participants learn how to competently file stories to all media outlets, from anywhere in the world, working with a cell phone and/or laptop.
The standard tuition and compulsory fees for the current academic year:
2016-2017 Tuition Fees
For programs with Experiential Learning (Work Placement/Internship): Costs for accommodation, if needed, travel and related expenses is at the student's own expense. It is recommended for most programs, that students have access to a laptop or desktop computer while away from home during experiential learning periods.
Textbooks and other materials are in addition to Tuition Fees. Textbook prices may be found through the Bookstore website.
Please be aware that tuition and compulsory fees are subject to adjustment each year. The College reserves the right to change, amend or alter fees as necessary without notice or prejudice.
Storytelling I (News/Feature)
Back Pack Lab 1 (Radio and TV)
Back Pack Lab 2 (Print/Web)
Capstone Convergence Production I
Storytelling II (News/Feature)
Convergence Lab I
Capstone Convergence Production II
Convergence Lab II Editing & Production
Convergence Technology and Podcasting
Radio Writing and Production