- This year, why not add some rich new varieties to your garden that are not only aesthetically pleasing, but taste delicious as well!
Herbs are full of fragrance and flavour, and come in all kinds of interesting textures and colours.
Whether on your windowsill indoors or in your yard outdoors, herb gardening is becoming quite popular. Nearly every dish can be taken to the next level of tastiness just by adding a few sprigs of fresh herbs.
Landscape Horticulture Alumni Violet Harris holds up some herbs at St. Clair's Garden Centre.
At St. Clair's Garden Centre, you'll find many herb varieties, such as dill, basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, curry, lavender, chives and tarragon.
Landscape Horticulture grad Violet Harris, who works at St. Clair's Garden Centre, says it's simple to grow herbs on your own. Here is some advice she gives on how to grow herbs, and the benefits that go along with it.
- Lots of sunlight – whether you are planting indoors or outdoors, be sure to plant herbs in the sunniest space possible as they need a lot of heat and sunlight to grow
- Keep moist with daily watering – unlike some plant varieties that can go days between being watered, herbs need it daily. On hot summer days, sometimes twice is necessary.
- Easier to start with seedlings rather than seeds – at St. Clair's Garden Centre, you'll find potted herbs that are ready to be used right away.
- Trim from the top: pluck the leaves at the top – called pinching or pruning – first. This keeps the herb from getting too tall and unruly.
- Always remember to pinch off excess leaves – this rejuvenates the herb and keeps it growing.
- Nutritious – not only do they boost flavour in your food, herbs boost your health and are known to have many positive effects on your body and mind!
- Affordable and sustainable – rather than continually buying fresh herbs every week at the grocery store, why not buy a seedling once and continue growing and growing more on your own?
- Tastes better than dried herbs and spices – fresh herbs are such a healthy way to add flavour and depth to your food. It's a great way to add some extra zip to any meal, and takes just a pinch!
- Smells amazing – a natural air freshener if you're growing indoors!
So what are you waiting for? Head on over to St. Clair's Garden Centre and start your herb garden today!