- The 48th Annual St. Clair College Athletics Awards were held at the Centre for the Arts Wednesday evening. Below are some of the award winners who were honoured:
Mason MacDonald Male & Female Athlete of the Year (In Honour of Mason MacDonald)
The athlete of the year is awarded to the graduating male and female student-athletes who have displayed outstanding athletic abilities while maintaining exemplary academic performance and school involvement during their years at St. Clair College. The trophy was donated by and named for Mr. Mason MacDonald, former Athletic Director of the Western Ontario Institute of Technology, the predecessor of St. Clair College.
Ashley Unrau & Jason Hernandez pose with their awards.
Female Winner: Ashley Unrau
- 4th Year Women's Golf
- Dental Hygiene Graduate
- CCAA Team Silver 2013
- CCAA 4th Place 2012, CCAA
- OCAA Team Gold 2014, Team Silver 2013, Team Gold 2012
- OCAA Individual Bronze Medal 2012 & 2014
- Has Earned a total of 6 Medals in 4 years
Male Winner: Jason Hernandez
- 2nd Year Men's Volleyball
- Heating, Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technician Graduate
- OCAA 1st Team All-Star 2013-14, 2014-15
- OCAA All-Academic 2013-14
- CCAA Academic All-Canadian 2013-14
- CCAA All Canadian 2014-15
- OCAA Men's Volleyball Player of the Year 2014-15
- Team MVP 2013-14, 2014-15
- 2013-14 - Team Finished 10-8 & Qualified for Playoffs for 1st Time since 2007-08
- Team Finished 12-6 During regular season 2014-15
- Won OCAA Silver- first ever medal for Men's Volleyball
- 4th place at CCAA Nationals
- 1st Team All-Star at CCAA Nationals
Al Hoffman 'Athlete of the Year' for Outstanding Achievement Award
This award recognizes intercollegiate athletes who perform at a high level of athletic excellence combined with sound scholastic achievement; who have excelled in athletic competition at the college, regional, provincial and/or national levels; whose efforts have contributed to the success, competitiveness, enhancement and overall quality of their respective sport. This award is named after former Athletic Director, Al Hoffman who was inducted into the OCAA, CCAA and Windsor Essex County Sports Hall of Fame. Starting in 2007, this award recognizes the most outstanding Male and Female Varsity Athletes at St. Clair College from the past season.
Shannon Kennedy and Eric Cunningham pose with their awards.
Female Award Winner: Shannon Kennedy
- 2nd Year Women's Basketball
- Early Childhood Education
- 3rd Place West Region (12-6) – OCAA Championship Appearance
- St. Clair Team MVP & Leading Scorer
- OCAA Leading Scorer (348 Total Points, 19.3 PPG)
- 2014-2015 West Region 1st Team All-Star
- 2014-2015 OCAA Player of the Year
- 2014-2014 CCAA All-Canadian Selection
- Set School record with seven 3-point makes (Nov. 14 vs. Redeemer)
- OCAA Women's Basketball Athlete of the Week (Nov. 18)
- OCAA Leader in 3-point Shooting % & Makes (56-130, 43.1%)
Male Award Winner: Eric Cunningham
- 1st Year Men's Baseball
- Respiratory Therapy
- St. Clair Team Top Batter (0.458 Avg., 3rd OCAA)
- OCAA All-Star
- OCAA Player of the Year
- OCAA Leader in Stolen Bases (16)
- Only struck out 4 times this season in 59 At-bats
- On-base percentage of 0.593 (Tied 1st in OCAA)
Inter-Collegiate Coach of the Year Award
The Inter-Collegiate Coach of the Year Award is presented to the St. Clair College Varsity Head Coach whose teams exemplify a high level of performance, sportsmanship, dedication and leadership. This coach will stress the values of athletic participation in an educational setting and will assist in the improvement of athletic skills as well as life skills. This coach will provide leadership as a role model to their team members and St. Clair College. This award is named after former Hockey Coach, Gerald Serviss who led his teams to three Provincial Championships and one National Championship in 7 seasons. He was inducted into the OCAA Hall of Fame in 2005.
Steve Vagnini, Gerald Serviss & Doug Wiseman pose with their awards.
Winners – Doug Wiseman (W) Softball & Steve Vagnini (W) Soccer
- 2nd Year Women's Softball Coach
- 14-4 Record – Regular Season Pennant
- OCAA Championship Gold Medal (3-0 Record)
- CCSA National Championship Silver Medal (4-1 Record)
- 1st Year Women's Outdoor Soccer Coach
- 2nd Year Women's Indoor Soccer Coach
- OCAA West Division Coach of the Year Outdoor
- OCAA Overall Coach of the Year Outdoor
- OCAA Provincials - Gold Medal Women's Indoor Soccer
- Outdoor Team Improved from 1-6-1 in 2013 (8th place ) to 4-2-2 in 2014 (4th place)
- Won Home Qualifying Playoff Game; Lost 1-0 at Algonquin in OCAA Quarterfinals
John Albert Strasser Coaches Award
Awarded annually to the Varsity Coach whose team achieves success athletically while making significant contributions to the community.
Rob Lynch & Dr. John Strasser pose with the award.
Winner – Rob Lynch (Men's Volleyball)
- 6th Year Men's Volleyball Coach
- West Region 3rd Place – 12-6 Record
- OCAA Provincials - Silver Medal (1st ever Men's Volleyball Medal)
- CCAA Nationals- 4th place
- Won Durham Invitational Tournament
Exceptional Service Award (In Honour of Jack Costello)
Introduced in 2005-2006, the Exceptional Service Award is presented annually to an individual for his/her outstanding dedication and commitment to the Department of Athletics and Recreation. This award recognizes those who have gone above and beyond his/her regular duties over the past season. This award is named in honour of former hockey coach, Athletic Director, and OCAA Hall of Fame Member Jack Costello.
Winner – Mike Silvaggi (St. Clair College Registrar)
Fair Play & Sportsmanship Award (In Honour of Bob Weepers)
Introduced in 1995-96, this award recognizes student-athletes who reflect the true spirit of sport through their exemplary commitment to sportsmanship, fair play and teamwork. This award is named in honour of Bob Weepers, long time Athletic Coordinator, for his commitment and contributions to the Athletic Programs of St. Clair College.
Badminton: Connie Yan
(M) Basketball: Adam Bering
(W) Soccer: Stefanie Dummer
(W) Softball: Kallie Desjarlais
(M) Baseball: Taylor Pappin
Cross Country: Morgan Jones
(M) Volleyball: Peter Christian
St. Clair Team Academic Awards (In Honour of Don Hogan)
This award honours St. Clair College inter-collegiate varsity teams for academic achievement. This award is named for teams that compete in a league sport with the highest Grade Point Average amongst all team members:
This award honours St. Clair College inter-collegiate varsity teams for academic achievement. This award is named for teams that compete in a tournament sport with the highest Grade Point Average amongst all team members:
Jason Hernandex & Shannon Kennedy pose with their CCAA Men's Volleyball All-Canadian and CCAA Women's Basketball All-Canadian Trophies.